- Chemical name: tocopherol
- RDA: 10mg
- Top sources: wheatgerm oil, sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, almonds, pine nuts, sweet potato, avocado and spinach
- Absorption: helped by vitamin C and selenium
- Cautions: can affect blood clotting with high doses
- Role in sport: potential protective role against the damaging effects of free radicals induced by prolonged or eccentric exercise, but nothing proven.
Vitamin E is another fat-soluble vitamin and antioxidant. It is important for keeping cell walls healthy and for the maintenance of the skin, nerves, muscle, red blood cells, circulation and the heart. Vitamin E also improves the activity of vitamin A in the body.