With a little break in the Accies rugby season, I thought I would share a few pointers I have been giving the players recently to keep them on form. Most of the players are following (hopefully!) a general meal plan with indications of what to eat and when during a typical training or gym day. This includes the amount of protein and type of carbohydrate to have pre- and post-training. Rest days are tailored to individual goals, whether that be weight gain, weight loss, speed or strength.
Some other things to think about during the week are:
1) high intake of anti-inflammatory foods and antioxidants to minimise muscle damage and boost recovery
2) stocking up on immune system boosters
3) good snacks to keep energy levels up
5) oily fish intake – 2 portions per week
6) nutrient timing post-training to improve recovery time
If you are a rugby player looking for a bit of help with your nutrition for training and matches, don’t hesitate to get in touch!